Following their 5-3 win over Treecare in the opening game of the season, ActiveWin FC had little downtime before they were back in action. Unfortunately, this time, it was AW who were on the receiving end of a defeat, losing 3-2 to AECOM on a night better best forgotten.

AECOM were clearly up for the game, and came flying out of the traps, forcing Chris Prentice, Allan Stevenson, and a returning Josh Gamble to concentrate their energies on closing them down.

Gamble and Ashley Leith managed to get the ball up to Adam Rowley, who sent Stevenson on his way, but he couldn’t work the keeper.

0-1 AECOM broke the deadlock with a soaring shot soon after.

Dave Bates filling in in between the sticks pulled off a couple of saves to keep the score at 1-0, whilst Gamble, Sam Benson and Adam Jackson tried to disrupt AECOM’s run of play.

Rowley tried to create an opening, but there was too much on the ball for George Ridley, whilst Captain Eddie Jordan showed good composure at the back to snuff out an AECOM attack.

0-2 Ridley was on the ball again soon after but could quite thread it through to Leith, and it was AECOM who once again found the net, as ActiveWin failed to cover the post and left Bates stranded.

ActiveWin weren’t lying down – Rowley and Ridley linked up again but the latter was muscled off the ball, before Prentice found Leith who got off a decent shot. The AECOM keeper fluffed it, but an AECOM defender was there to let him off the hook.

Jordan and Eliot Jacob continued to break up play in the heart of the defence, and Rowley, Leith and Stevenson kept pressing for a goal, sadly to no avail.

As the clock ticked away to half-time, debutant Bryn May shot straight at the keeper, before, at the other end, Bates saved to prevent any further damage.

Half-Time: 0-2

ActiveWin started the second half with more impetus, with Jackson, Rowley, Leith and Benson looking particularly lively.

Bates did well to prevent AECOM increasing the scoreline, with Jordan tracking back when needed.

Prentice was strong the ball, holding it up to bring Stevenson back into the game, before Leith worked the keeper.

0-3 AECOM scored again to make it 0-3, but AW were gaining momentum and didn’t let that stop them and were finally rewarded for their tenacity.

1-3 AW GOAL! – Leith created an opening for Gamble but the magic midfielder still had a lot to do when he rolled the ball past the AECOM keeper.

AW were now in the ascendancy and a good interception from May resulted in a lovely ball from Leith over the top to Rowley. Unfortunately, the pair were not on the same wavelength, and Leith then wasted his eventual shot, having regained possession.

2-3 AW GOAL! – A great ball from Jackson put Rowley through on goal for the latter to make it two for AW with a neat finish.

May tried another shot, but it was tame and once again straight at the keeper. ActiveWin just couldn’t find an equaliser, and the game finished 2-3.

Full-Time: 2-3

Man of the Match: Noone had a great game…but Adam Rowley covered a variety of positions, as well as providing an attacking threat.

Verdict: Definitely not a classic, but AW did manage to come back and restore some of the deficit, as well as blooding some new players. Lots to work on.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: